Saturday, May 2, 2015

Biting the cook back



Bruton...our very green, very finicky house companion, sometime dinner company and general all around herbivorous good guy deserves a spot here too, as his meals get just as much (well almost just as much) attention as do our own.

As a green (I already said that) Iguana, he is strictly a vegetarian and a picky one at that. I said that too. In trying to also prepare interesting, attractive and delicious meals for him, I have done more than my fair share of research on what he might like to eat, what is nutritious for him, etc... etc... and have a pretty comprehensive list of veggies that work for him and the cycles in which I should serve them.

To present a mini smorgasbord for my little friend, we supply him with dark greens, such as collard or mustard or occasionally kale and green beans, adding in color in red and yellow peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes and mixing in small bits of fruits like strawberries, apple, blueberries and his favorite, grapes, which he seems to cherry pick with his nose, kind of like a kid going for the dessert first. Although I can't blame him, I have taken to separating and serving these last to make sure he stays healthy and happy. It makes Hayden happy that I do... and that makes me happy... of course.

He seems to enjoy his meals and when in the mood, chows them down with vigor, much like Hayden, but unlike me, mostly prefers to eat them alone in the Vivarium which I made for his habitat. He seems to enjoy it there, having a great view of the creek and as he sports a long, (I am told..painful) whip-like tail and lots of small, but very sharp teeth, I would like to remain firmly on a 'buddy' status with him. I do not like to be bit. 



 His personal space with a view of a beautiful snow this past winter.
Here he is hanging out in his palm 'tree', waiting to be fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment