Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Another Mouth to Feed...


No, That's not what is for dinner, although I have enjoyed a good meal in the past of crispy duck.(shhhhhh!)

No, this little guy, who I so cleverly named Mallard (Malarrrd' ...it's temporary...until I figure out what to do with him) I suddenly met yesterday afternoon. With my car in the shop and walking home from my second job last night, I found him along the curve of a road just before the Mill where I am living at the moment. The mother looked as if she was hit by a car and as there was no others around, I picked this little shivering and peeping orphan up and put him into my breast pocket. It warmed him up and calmed him with my heart beat (In fact he is there right now as I am typing this) for the rest of the way. Setting up a little enclosure for him with heat and water and some finely chopped lettuce) he went right at it and enjoyed a good meal on the house. I think he is fine, but will need someone to 'mother him' for the time being. Having had a duck before, Ping (as highlighted on my 3/31/14 post The Power of Friendship on my other blog), I have some experience with them and what to expect and the care I need to give. Once they 'imprint' on you as the new 'mom', they are super affectionate and will stick with you like glue, following your every foot step. It is beyond cute.

Pretty much being alone these days on non working nights and with Hayden away hiking this entire week with his Mom, my little fuzzy friend here has provided some welcome company, even if the conversation is one sided for now. This morning after a short spell in a shallow end of my bathtub and a soft towel dry, he fell asleep right on the center of my chest, nestled in for a nap. No photos...sorry.

I think perhaps I have found a new friend along the journey of life. Someone to say good morning and good night to, to greet when I come in and look forward to sitting with and to share my warmth with. I have to say, I do not know if he is actually a he and not a she. In truth I would look forward to the magnificent plumage of a fully grown male Mallard, but am o.k. either way.

 As this Friday night is free (and tomorrow night this week as well) I have decided I will take him over to the 'duck' pond I used to go to in a small town nearby, to sit the next couple of nights where we could watch the other ducks for the evening and maybe even share a small picnic at sunset. Everything becomes much too hard in this loneliness, so perhaps I would meet another passionate duck aficionado for some much needed conversation and fellowship while there and learn a thing or two.  You never know who might be there... it is certainly worth a try. It could change life once again... it certainly did for him today.



The curve where he was waiting to say hi!

His new personal space.



No comments:

Post a Comment