Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Day without


 After a really long, quite tiring week, one that left me with a some-sort of a tired/ ill/ stomachache/ headache kind of sleepless night last night, it was nice to see the sun shinning bright and the creek and birds providing a nice chorus to the morning. Usually today, Mothers Day as celebrated here in the U.S would mean for us sons or dads, a day of making our mother and/ or spouse feel a little bit more appreciated and special for the myriad of simple and wonderful things they do for us everyday without sadly, usually any notice.

For me today, a day without my own Mom among us anymore and without anyone else who would care to be celebrated with me, it was an odd day. Getting up late (9:00), I walked a bit up the hill to get a long view of the river, but was not up for breaking my steps in anything brisker than that. I took some time to remember the qualities that my Mom left behind in me and reminisce on celebrations of care and breakfasts in bed in my own family. It was a quiet morning, a quiet day.

Returning, I looked into the fridge and really did not feel like preparing anything significant, but after finding some turkey bacon, two waffles (yes...the frozen round ones...don't judge), some asparagus, butter and a lemon, I was more inspired and decided to make myself at least a decent breakfast. Using the egg yolks and butter for a Hollandaise Sauce, I whisked them with my meager whisk (in a twist between the palms build-a-fire-with-a-stick style) to twice their volume, as called for by my phone recipe and cooked the egg whites, topping it with bacon over waffles and asparagus along with the ever so delicious sauce.

I felt bad that I could not make it for someone deserving... a great Mom out there perhaps sitting in bed wishing for such a meal, but I had to resign to eating alone on the grass, by the creek with the water passing by to take my memories away. I do wish a wonderful day to those out there whom I know sacrifice so much for their children.





No comments:

Post a Comment