Friday, April 10, 2015

The Art in Cooking



A recent trip with Hayden to a flea market near where I grew up was found to be a very fun day of discovering old things, some fun, some weird, some interesting, some bizarre and some beautiful. These simple cooking pieces I believe fell squarely into the last category, for they are not only fun and interesting, but beautiful in their intended function.

Much like a uber cool, worn, brass and leather, expandable spyglass that Hayden was able to bargain a purchase for (that is amazingly clear and brings things from great distance right into your eye), these three small items were all something that will readily find a place in my kitchen 'tool set' and be used well. The fact that they were well designed and are simply mini pieces of culinary art is just a bonus. After sorting through several bins of kitchen gadgets, all at buy two for $1.00, get one free, these three rose to the top of the list and in flea market fashion, were stuffed into a plastic bag, wrapped in newspaper. The fork is just cool, the spoon reminds me of ones I had seen in Asian kitchens and I am enthused to cook with it and the hand mixer is just plain awesome. A perfect example of functional art if I have ever seen one. Oh, if these three pieces could tell stories of their journey into my bag... the hands they have been in... the food prepared with them... the basements they might have sat in for decades. Who knows?  I photographed them with my iphone on a brown piece of silk fabric on the kitchen table with a single shop utility light (my kitchen pendant lamp) that I painted a creme color inside.

Now to start cooking with them.







No comments:

Post a Comment