Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Friday Night Breather



As a kid, I remember Friday nights (living in an entire household who either attended or worked within a school of some sort) being the solid, end to our (work) week. A weekend of fun and rest was ahead. Many times we would go out for a pizza or to our favorite German restaurant, or the weeks when my Mom cooked at home, it was a simpler meal and a fun night to rest, watch a movie together, play a game, have company over. These days, on my own, it is the only night in a week where I am not working or engaged in time with Hayden. As such and often finding myself quite tired after a long work week, and further not being one to get out on my own anymore, it is the quietest and certainly the loneliest night of the week. Often, I make a simple meal for myself and rent a movie or sit down to read or work on the computer and try to forget all of the thoughts swimming around within my head for a bit. Not my first choice for a Friday night, but it is... just the way it is.

This past Friday I sought out some company with old friends whom also both work in addition to having three children to care for. I thought perhaps it would energize me with a goal and provide some sorely missed friendly human contact and family type fellowship to offer to come and cook a meal for them to finish out the week. I was sure they were all tired and could use the break like me and they enthusiastically welcomed me to do so.

Trying to keep the menu mostly family friendly and tasty, I brought some chicken breasts, asparagus (pre-approved) and wild rice. Rolling the chicken in Panko crumbs and finely crushed walnuts, I fried it crispy in olive oil, then added in ginger, chopped orange pieces, a little Cumin and let it cook awhile while attending to the rice, etc.... When it was ready, I removed it all from the pan, added some orange juice to what was left and reduced it all into a glaze with some red peppers to top it off with. Everyone but the smallest at the table enjoyed it thoroughly, which is fine. Her small taste buds will develop in time I am sure.

Anyway, it was still a quiet night of hanging out, but at least with some other souls to talk and share it with. One small spot of time and place where my presence was appreciated and in fact along with my culinary contribution (and dish duty of course... what fun would it be to have someone cook for you if you had to then to the dishes, right?) was welcome. That was a nice change. You will note my photo is on a different dish set. In truth I took it in a hurry as everyone was hungry, etc...the china is theirs of course and the fancy orange garnish was gratefully prepared with little hands :)

No comments:

Post a Comment