Monday, April 6, 2015

Alfredo Mitty


"To see the world, things dangerous to come, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life"

A Motto that adorned the wall in front of Life Magazine headquarters for decades while that wonderful and important piece of American culture was in print. A substantial magazine that I always enjoyed when I was young sitting in our gold, wing back 'reading' chair, but as I later in photography circles had the opportunity to meet and work with a few contributing photographers, I never did so myself.

So to tie this in to our meal other than to try new things in the kitchen, this one being homemade Alfredo sauce, there really is none other than it was a simple meal, adding in a movie... "The secret life of Walter Mitty"... A very fun and interesting whimsical film based on the short story by James ThurberIt involves a low level Life employee who has spent his entire career in the back dungeons of the negative (film) assets department who in the story thinks he misplaced a most important piece of film given to him by their premier photographer. In part desperation and part imagination, he sets out on a wonderful adventure to track the photographer and missing negative down, opening his eyes and heart to a larger world in the process. After traveling through some interesting and exotic locales, he eventually catches up with the elusive fellow, only to find, it was hidden within a gift he received before he even left. But the real story is his discovery of this other world and most importantly himself along the way. A self he never knew was there, drawing on those parts that he did not know existed and suddenly saw life in a different, new way.

Having been to, or near to some of the locations in the film, it was enjoyable for me to watch, also finding I somehow related to the photographer... maybe not because of what I have done, but because of what I wanted to do in my career. I suppose I was more like Walter Mitty I guess. Although I have been privileged to do some pretty amazing things in some quite 'exotic' distant locations, I never quite felt that special and always wanted to be like the photographer character I saw in the movie... elusive, fascinating, worthy of pursuit... and even though people would enjoy my stories, I always was just simply me in my own skin. That me... made a fun and delicious meal of Panko crusted baked chicken, placing it over simple pasta shells, topped with asparagus and a very yummy homemade Alfredo sauce, which in itself was layers and layers of cheeses, cream, garlic and herbs. That me and this dish, has to be enough for today.  






No comments:

Post a Comment