Monday, January 19, 2015

Stir Stir Stir


Attempting to make a stir fry on a standard range is a futile task. If you have ever secretly spied the burners that are found in an actual Asian restaurant while waiting for a take out order, you would notice when the cook lifts the wok, the flames shoot up several feet into the air, giving away the secret of the technique held within the power of the often 20,000 or more btu's being thrown out. A typical home range and especially the one I am consigned to now, has nowhere near that cooking power and can quickly and humbly reduce a 'stir fry' to mush. After recently seeing a post about Pineapple stir fry, I was inspired to make this.

For this meal with an old friend, I precooked my rice (yes white...I do not have the budget to throw out what I already have to use brown just yet) in the morning and cooled/dried it in the fridge to firm it up as much as possible. Before dinner, frying it in an olive/coconut oil mixture, I added a couple of eggs, Cumin and pepper, allowing it to crisp on the pan bottom to get some nice texture first. Then I added the red and yellow peppers, slightly steamed brocolli and snow peas, pineapple chunks along with a tad of juice and a bit more Cumin. Separately, I stirred very thinly slice pork mixed with minced fresh ginger in cocunut oil and then assembled it all together. Not the most visually stimulating dish I have ever made as you can see as it looked much nicer in the pan, but it was very flavorful on several levels, crispy and much enjoyed, as was some company for a change.




No comments:

Post a Comment