Friday, February 20, 2015

Comfortable Freeze


Okay...So it is literally ZERO degrees outside right now and I am sure the howling wind swirling around out there is bringing down the 'chill factor' even below that point. Last night was no better and after being out and about in the weather taking care of errands (and literally running into and out of our stops to minimize our exposure), we needed something that was hot, filling, fatty and satiating. A plate full of potato filled perogies was the request I received when I asked "what do you feel like eating", so it was the request I was obliged to fufill. I know what you are thinking... and realize that this is not the healthiest meal on the planet, but is one that I enjoyed in my youth and one that my son does now as well. Having come in from the cold and not wanting to venture out again AND already having a bag of them in the freezer didn't hurt either.

First boiled for a bit to thaw them out (no, I did not make them from scratch) and then after frying up some bacon, I browned them crispy in the bacon fat and onions, adding the leftover fat to top them off, further adding sour cream and the bacon on top. I did sprinkle a little chives on top, but that did not make the photo and after sauteeing some brussel sprouts, I felt a little bit better about the total meal content.

Enjoying it thoroughly, sometimes maybe comfort just has to triumph eating the 'right' thing and making something with some umph and substance to fill the bones and body with heat on a super cold night is the 'right' thing in the moment...especially when one has to anticipate a cold bed lying ahead without a warm companion to do so. As they settled in to my body, they filled the bill as a stand in until morning arrived. Thank you Mrs. T, whomever you are, and Mr. Pig... and cow and farmer who grew the sprouts...you are all appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment